Development & Permitting Process

If you're interested in starting a new business, making changes to an existing business, or interested in constructing a new housing development, this guide is a resource on important steps in the process. 

1. Confirm your proposed project meets the zoning regulations at the intended site 

Your project may require Planning Commission or Zoning Administrator approval

Most new or expanded commercial buildings or housing developments require approval by the Planning Commission prior to applying for permits. 

We highly recommend you start this process by meeting with our Planning/Zoning Administrator to ensure that your proposed business conforms with the zoning regulations of the Township. 

Planning Commission approval is required for most new projects, including the following: 

  • Constructing a new nonresidential building
  • Expanding an existing nonresidential building
  • Changing the use of an existing business
  • Starting a new housing development
  • Starting a home-based occupation


2. Licensing & Permits

The Township doesn’t have a business licensing program, however, you will likely need a combination of the following permits: 

  • Building Permit: If constructing a new building, completing an addition, or doing structural work in an existing building (including moving a wall).
  • Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing Permits: Required for all new construction or modification to an electrical, HVAC, or plumbing system. 
  • Sign Permit: If you plan to have a sign or banner placed in the Township, you’ll need a sign permit.
  • Liquor License: The Clerk's Office oversees liquor licenses for the Township. 

3. Sewer & Water

If your business utilizes sewer/water, you will need to contact the Treasurer's Department. 

Commercial sewer fees are based on the type of use and volume of use. Commercial businesses pay benefit fees based on occupational use. The Township has established and adopted a Residential Equivalent Unit (REU) for multiple types of commercial uses. One REU = $1,800.00 for sewer and $400.00 for water, which is the applicable rate for Single Family dwellings. A comprehensive list of Residential Equivalent Units (REUs) and an estimate of sewer and water fees is available by contacting the Township Treasurer.

View information about Sewer & Water.